Archive for March, 2011

Tax tip Be well-informed when making investments

Did you know…?

Under the Income Tax Act, you may lower the amount of income tax payable as permitted under the law by making investments in certain arrangements, such as in RRSPs or TFSAs. However, you should be aware of the potential risks of other types of arrangements. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is aware that abusive investment arrangements are offered by unscrupulous promoters and advises investors to take a number of precautions to protect their interests.

Important Facts

  • Abusive investment arrangements can take many forms. Typically these involve investing with the expectation that income deductions and tax credits will result in tax savings in excess of the cash paid.
  • Before investing, you should:
    • do your research on who is promoting the arrangement, and read any documents concerning the investment;
    • pay particular attention to any statements in the documents about the income tax consequences of the investment; and
    • obtain independent professional legal and tax advice about the investment arrangement.
  • It is important to remember that if the promoted return on investment sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

If you believe you have participated in an abusive investment arrangement and you wish to correct your tax return, you can do so through the Voluntary Disclosures Program (VDP). Taxpayers will not be penalized or prosecuted if they make a valid disclosure before they become aware of any compliance action being initiated against them. More information is available at

Learn more

For more information about abusive investment arrangements, go to


Apprenticeship Job Creation Tax Credit (AJCTC)

Apprenticeship Job Creation Tax Credit (AJCTC)

The AJCTC is a non-refundable tax credit equal to 10% of the eligible salaries and wages payable to eligible apprentices in respect of employment after May 1, 2006. The maximum credit an employer can claim is $2,000 per year for each eligible apprentice. If your business hires an “eligible apprentice”, you qualify to claim the credit.

Who is an “eligible apprentice”?

An “eligible apprentice” is someone who is working in a prescribed trade in the first two years of their apprenticeship contract. This contract must be registered with a federal, provincial or territorial government under an apprenticeship program designed to certify or license individuals in the trade.

A prescribed trade includes the 53 trades currently listed as Red Seal Trades. For more information, see the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program.

How to claim?

If you are an employer, you will be able to claim the credit on your Individual Income Tax Return, on line 412 – Investment tax credit, by filing Form T2038(IND), Investment Tax Credit (Individuals).

In addition, any unused credit may be carried back three years and carried forward 20 years.

When two or more related employers employ the same apprentice, special rules apply to ensure that the $2,000 limit is allocated to only one employer.

Forms and publications

Related Topics

From the CRA Website:

Hello world!

Welcome to